Whale Cottage Blog –
The Spring/Summer 2011/2012 specials for Cape Town and Winelands restaurants follow below, and will be updated continuously:
* Pure at Hout Bay Manor: 3-course dinner for R 220. Summer. Tel (021) 790-0116.
* Pepenero in Mouille Point : sirloin and chips R79, seafood platter R 129, 1 kg prawn platter R99, oysters R9 each, sushi platter R109. Half price sushi all day. Indefinite. Tel (021) 439-9027
* Sinn’s Restaurant at Wembley Square: Lunch (6 options) at R50. 3-course dinner with glass of wine R150. Summer. Tel (021) 465-0967
* Theo’s on Beach Road, Mouille Point: Oysters R 8 each, 15 prawns R99, line fish R99, 250 gm Sirloin steak. Kingklip and 6 prawns R125. 250g Sirloin steak and 6 prawns R125. 250g Lobster and 6 prawns R159. Summer. Tel (021) 439-3494.
* Sevruga in the V&A Waterfront: half price sushi Monday – Saturday 12 – 6 pm; 25 % off sushi Sunday 12 – 2pm, 50 % off Sunday 2 – 6 pm, 3-course menu R160, daily, lunch and dinner; 2-course lunch R120. End October. Tel (021) 421-5134
* Myoga at Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 7 course dinner, with 5 choices per course, for R195, Mondays – Saturdays; 2-courses R99, 3-courses R120 weekday lunches, Summer. Tel (021) 657-4545
* Beluga, The Foundry, Green Point: 1 kg Prawns R130, 50 % off sushi and cocktails all day Sunday, and from 12h00 – 19h00 weekdays. 2-course lunch R120; 3-course lunch and dinner R160. Summer. Tel (021) 418-2948.
* 221 Waterfront: 3-course meal at R135 on Wednesdays. Dine & Cruise package: 1,5 hour cruise, 2 glasses sparkling wine, 3-course meal R370; Lunch & Cruise package: 1 hour cruise and meal R210. tbc. Tel (021) 418-3633
* The Lookout Deck, Hout Bay: Baby kingklip R95. Until 31 October. Tel (021) 790-0900
* La Mouette, Regent Road, Sea Point : Tasting Menu (items change monthly) 6 courses R240 for 2 persons, Tuesday – Sunday dinner, Friday and Saturday lunch. October. Tel (021) 433-0856
* Bertha’s in Simonstown: 1 kg Queen prawns cost R99 each, 1kg mussels R99, 1 kg chicken wings R99, full rack of ribs plus chips R99. Half rack of ribs R59. Summer. Rugby World Cup Breakfast Specials R 25 – R49. Tel (021) 786-2138
* Aubergine: 2-course lunch R198, 3-course lunch R254, Wednesdays – Fridays. Monday – Saturdays except public holidays. Daily dinner specials. 3-course R375, 4-course R455, 5-course R565 degustation menu. Summer. Tel (021) 465-4909
* Ferryman’s Tavern, V&A Waterfront: Buffet plus Castle draught weekday lunch, R65. Sunday roast R 55 Indefinite. Tel (021) 419-7748
* Hildebrand: 2 courses R99, 3 courses R130 if eat before 19h00; October. Tel (021) 425-3385
* Leaf Restaurant and Bar: 50 % off sushi all day, Dimsum 30 % off, Burgers R50 – R65. Summer. Tel (021) 418-4500
* Blowfish in Blouberg: half-price sushi Wednesday 5 – 8 pm; Eat all you can sushi Sunday 5-10 pm R149. Summer. Tel (021) 556-5464
* Vanilla, Cape Quarter: Half price sushi 12h00 – 17h00 Daily. Summer. Tel (021) 421-1391
* Knife restaurant, Century City: Bagel R35; Salad R45; Rib, meatball, chicken wing and chip platter R60, all specials include a beer/glass of wine/colddrink and coffee. Lunch special, 12h00 – 15h00, Mondays – Fridays. Indefinite. Tel (021) 551-5000
* Saul’s Sushi @ Vegas, Sea Point: Eat as much sushi as you like for R115 Mondays and Tuesdays, 30 piece sushi platter R50 – Wednesdays and Thursdays; two for the price of one – Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Indefinite. Tel 087 151 4595
* Bhandaris Indian Restaurant: Buffet R99 Sunday lunch and dinner. October. Tel (021) 702-2975/Tel (021) 782-1525.
* Zorba’s, Lagoon Beach Hotel, Lagoon Beach Drive, Milnerton: Seafood and meat platter for two R 220; 18 prawns R180. Lunch and Dinner (except Saturday lunch). October. Tel (021) 528-2093
* Trees Restaurant, Townhouse Hotel, Cape Town: 2 courses R 95, 3 courses R 130. Indefinite. Tel (021) 465-7050
* Down South Food Bar, 267 Long Street: Platter of ribs, chicken wings, prawns, chips, corn, sauce for R190 for two persons. Indefinite. Tel (021) 422-1155.
* Cape Town Fish Market, V&A: ”All you can eat Breakfast Buffet” R 60, Saturdays, Sundays, and public holidays; Seafood lunch buffet R125, Sundays and public holidays. Indefinite. Tel (021) 418-5977
* Trinity, Bennett Street: Pizza R50 until 7 pm daily. Two for the price of one sushi and Dim Sum Monday – Saturday 12h00 – 20h00. Rugby breakfast, food and drinks specials for Rugby World Cup. October. Tel (021) 418-0624
* French Toast, Bree Street: Bruschetta tapas free Monday – Saturdays, 5 – 7 pm. All wines costing R 400 or less half price on Mondays. 2-course lunch consisting of soup and choice of two tapas plus glass of wine or cup of coffee R89, Monday – Friday 12h00 – 16h00. October. First anniversary specials: Local sparkling wines R20 per glass 24 – 29 October; all red wines by the glass half price 27 October; all white wines by the glass half price on 28 October; all tapas half price 29 October. Tel (021) 422-3839.
* The Square, Vineyard Hotel, Newlands: 5 courses paired menu R 195. Dinner only, Monday – Sunday. Summer. Tel ()21) 657-4500
* Dunes, Hout Bay : Sunday buffet with smoked salmon, oysters and cooked breakfast R100. Summer. Tel (021) 790-1876
* Arnold’s on Kloof, 60 Kloof Street, Gardens: Hungarian beef goulash stew plus spaetzle plus bottle of Altydgedacht R99. Kudu loin R110, Gemsbok Wellington R115, Vegetable stack Napoleon R65, Seafood potjie R98. Tel (021) 424-4344. Until end October.
* Balducci’s, V&A Waterfront: Alfresco Lunch specials – soup and salad R89, fish R89, calamari R89, seafood platter for two R245, Steak Roll and chips R85, Steak and chips R99, Burgers R55 – R75, Glass of wine R27, bottle of wine R99, open sandwiches R64 – R86. Daily 12h00 – 16h00. Summer. Tel (021) 421-6002
* Harbour House, Kalk Bay: 2-courses R140, 3-courses R160. Excludes Sundays. October. Tel (021) 788-4133
* Live Bait, Kalk Bay: Sole Florentine with Prawns R65. Sunday – Thursday evenings, and Monday – Friday lunch. October. Tel (021) 788-5755
* Polana, Kalk Bay: Linefish Pernod with prawns and calamari, R50, Sunday – Thursday dinner and Saturday lunch. November. Tel (021) 788-7162
* Codfather, Camps Bay: half-price sushi 12h00 – 18h00, daily. Indefinite. Tel (021) 438-0782
* Black Marlin, Simonstown: 2-course meal R115, 3-course R140 includes glass of wine. Indefinite. Tel (021) 786-1621
* Bayside Café: for every main course, get another lesser-priced main course. Lunch Monday – Friday, Sunday – Thursday. Until October. Tel (021) 438-2650.
* Mamma Mia Restaurant, Steenberg: for every main course a complimentary salad and Irish coffee. Until end October. Tel (021) 701-8585
* Cape Town Fish Market, Big Bay, V&A Waterfront, Canal Walk, Tyger Valley, Somerset West, Stellenbosch, Tokai, Grand West Casino: “All you can eat Breakfast Buffet” R60, Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays; 4-course Seafood buffet lunch R125, Sundays and public holidays. Buy one, get one free – hake on Mondays, sushi on Tuesdays, calamari on Wednesdays. Indefinite. Tel (021) 554-5962.
* La Bruixa, Sea Point: Seafood paella for two for R260, includes a salad. Throughout 2011. Tel (021) 434-8797
* Sinatra’s, Pepper Club Hotel, Loop Street: Glass of bubbly and 6 oysters for R 60. Fridays from 16h00. Until December. Tel (021) 812-8826
* Chai yo, Canal Walk: Buy two main meals and get lesser priced one free. Monday and Tuesday. Indefinite Tel (021) 555-0620.
* La Boheme, Sea Point: 2-courses R95, 3-courses R 120. Throughout 2011. Tel (021) 434-8797.
* Food Barn, Noordhoek: 3-courses with 2 glasses of Nitida wine R165, 4-courses with 3 glasses of wine R185, 5-courses with 4 glasses of wine R215. Lunch daily. Wednesday – Saturday dinner, May – October. Tel (021) 789-1390
* Nobu, One&Only Cape Town, V&A Hotel: 5-course R299, October. Tel (021) 431-4511.
* The Greenhouse, Cellars-Hohenhort Hotel, Constantia: 5-course meal with wines from Klein Constantia R295. Tuesday – Friday. Until October. Tel (021) 794-2137
* The Round House, Camps Bay: 4-course a la carte menu R450, 7-course set tasting menu R595. Summer. Tel (021) 438-4347
* Planet Restaurant, Mount Nelson Hotel: 6-course Vegan Journey menu R300 (R380 from 15/9), 4-course The Journey menu R220 (R255 from 15/9 – 15/11), 6-course The Journey menu R300 (R380 from 15/9) Summer. Tel (021) 483-1000.
* Tuscany Beach, Camps Bay: 50 % off partner’s main course, Dinner, daily; 25 % off Sushi, 12h00 – 18h00, daily. Until end October. Tel (021) 438-1213.
* 1800 Degrees, Cape Royale Luxury Hotel: Hot and cold Tapas and jazz, with a bottle of Diemersfontein wine per couple R195 per person, Sundays, 12h00 – 15h00. 100 gram sirloin, 100 gram rump and 100 gram rib eye steaks R99 plus one sauce and jacket potato. September. Tel (021) 430-0511.
* Café Delicieux, Welgemoed: 2-course dinner R125, 3-courses R155. Friday evenings. Tbc. Tel (021) 913-1053
* Café Manhattan, 74 Waterkant Street: Burger and a glass of wine R45. Indefinite. Tel (021) 421-6666
* Pepper Club on the Beach, Camps Bay: Seafood platter R149,95; Sirloin plus 3 prawns R 98,95; Prawn platter R98,95. Until 31 December. Tel (021) 438-3174
* Mint, Taj Hotel: 3 courses plus a glass of Ken Forrester Chenin Blanc or Merlot R185, Monday – Sundays, October. Tel (021) 819-2000
* News Café, Green Point: English Breakfast R19, 7h00 – 9h00 Monday – Friday, 7h30 – 9h00 Saturday and Sunday, until 1 February 2012
* Savour Restaurant, Sunday Lunch Buffet plus ’never-ending supply of Methodé Cap Classique’ R265. Summer. Tel (021) 469-8037
* La Colombe, Constantia: Lunch – 3-courses R240, 3-courses plus wine R280, Monday – Saturday, until 30 November. Tel (021) 794-2390
* Catharina’s, Steenberg Hotel: 2-course lunch R165, 3-course lunch R195, 3-course dinner R215. October. Tel (021) 713-2222
* Constantia Uitsig: 2-course lunch R190, 3-course lunch R220, Monday – Saturday. Until 30 November. Tel (021) 794-4480
* River Café, Constantia: 3-courses and carafe of wine R180, lunch, Monday – Saturday. Until 30 November. Tel (021) 794-3010.
* La Cuccina, Hout Bay: Homemade meal for two plus bottle of wine R100. Monday – Saturday. Until 30 December.
* Mugged on Roeland: All you can eat Pizza R80, Friday evenings. Until 30 December. Tel 084 5894 665
* Chapman’s Peak Hotel, Hout Bay: Free bottle of wine plus 2 Amarula Crème Brulee with two meat main courses ordered; 1 kg prawns R99; Soup of day R35; Malay Lamb Curry R89; Mussel Mexicana R69; Platter R99. Monday – Saturday lunch and dinner. Until 31 October. Tel (021) 790-1036
* Rick’s Café Américain, Park Road: Tapas or Mezze Platter plus 1/2 litre house wine R105; 1/2 litre Paulaner, Erdinger and Valentins beer R 30, 5 – 7 pm; Lunch specials from R39; and more specials on drinks. Indefinite. Tel (021) 424-1100
* Barocca, Camps Bay Club: 2 for the price of one burgers Tuesday evenings; Pasta and a glass of wine R50 Thursday evenings. From 5 pm. Indefinite. Tel (021) 438-1992
* Seaforth Restaurant, Simonstown: Deep fried prawns R90 Tuesdays; hake and chips R38 Wednesdays; Eat as much calamari as you like R49 Thursdays; Steak and calamari R78 Fridays; Eat as much as you like pork spare ribs R88 Saturdays. From 6 pm. Indefinite. Tel (021) 786-4810
* Pizzeria Villagio, Howard Centre, Pinelands: Free glass of Teddy Hall wine with home-made pasta on Tuesdays. Indefinite. Tel (021) 531-4473.
* Adega, Sea Point: 1kg King Prawns R119. Indefinite. Tel (021) 434-3029
* La Grotto, Plumstead: Two linefish for price of one on Tuesdays, early bird special R46, 6 – 8 pm. October. Tel (021) 797-8420.
* Wangthai, V&A Waterfront, Constantia, Lagoon Beach, Somerset West: Free glass of Durbanville Hills wine plus free steamed rice with Curry Festival meal. October. Tel (021) 421-8702/(021) 794-0022/(021) 551-9254/(021) 855-0112.
* Addis in Cape Ethiopian Restaurant, 41 Church Street: 2-course set menu R130. Tel (021) 424-5722. Indefinite.
* Azure Restaurant, Twelve Apostles Hotel, Camps Bay (photograph above): 4-courses R370, 5-courses R495, wine flight prices R50 – R135, until October. Tel (021) 437-9000
* Diva Pizza, Buitenkant Street: 2 large margherita pizzas with choice of two toppings R85. Indefinite. Tel (021) 461-0013
* Tokyo Restaurant & Sushi Bar: Buy one get one free daily until 5pm; Sushi Buffet Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturday evenings R110. Indefinite. Tel (021) 424-5108.
* Ocean Basket, Canal Walk: Seafood Platter, with kingklip, mussels, calamari, prawns, side salad, rice, chips, 2 Grapetizers, for two, R 189. October. Tel (021) 555-2331
* Bukhara, Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Grand West, Nelson Mandela Square: Sunday Lunch Buffet R 164. September – October. 33% off house wine and 10 % off set menu (normal cost R195) if booked beforehand and confirmed with a deposit, until 28 November. Tel (021) 424-0000
* OYO, V&A Hotel, Waterfront: Crayfish Special, 500 g R195. Summer. Tel (021) 419-6677.
* Allee Bleue, outside Franschhoek: choice of three 250g steaks at R115, including a glass of estate wine, current. Lunch, Wednesday – Sunday. Chicnic picnics daily (weather depending), R145 per person. Summer Tel (021) 874-1021
* Allora in Franschhoek: 3-course Sunday lunch R99 all year. 3 course lunch R99 until end October. Tel (021) 876-4375.
* L’ermitage, Franschhoek: 1-course R93, 2-courses R125, 3-courses R175, and glass of wine with each option. Lunch. End October. Tel (021) 876-9200
* Grande Provence Jonkershuis, Franschhoek: 4-course lunch and dinner chef’s table, minimum 8 guests, R 320. Monday – Saturday dinner, Monday – Sunday lunch. Summer. Tel (021) 876-8600
* Mon Plaisir @ Chamonix, Franschhoek: 2-courses R 170, 3-courses R199. Tuesday – Sunday lunch, Wednesday – Saturday dinner. September. Tel (021) 876-2393.
* Monneaux Restaurant, Franschhoek Country House: 3-course tasting menu Lunch with wine R 200, Monday – Sunday. Summer. Tel (021) 876-3386
* Mange Tout, Mont Rochelle Hotel, Franschhoek: 2-courses plus glass of wine R150, 3-courses plus glass of wine R190. October. Tel (021) 876-3000.
* La Residence, Franschhoek: 2 courses R 380, 3 courses R 490, 4 courses R 600 per person, all inclusive of ‘house wines’ and local beverages. Dinner. Daily. Summer. Tel (021) 876-4100
* Bosman’s, Grande Roche, Paarl: 2-courses R120, 3-courses R155. Monday – Sunday lunch. Until April (except 20 December – 10 January). Tel (021) 863-5100.
* Olivello, Klapmuts, outside Stellenbosch: 2-course meal R109, 3-course meal R129. Wednesday – Saturday, September – November. Tel (021) 875-5443
* Towerbosch Restaurant, Knorhoek Wine Estate, Stellenbosch: Asado Argentian-style braai on Sundays R165. Indefinite. Tel (021) 865-2958
* Tokara Restaurant, Stellenbosch: Chef’s Menu – 8 courses, inclusive of amuse bouche and palate cleanser R 450. Summer. Tuesday – Sunday lunch, Tuesday – Saturday dinner. Tel (021) 885-2550
* Wild Peacock Food Emporium, 32 Piet Retief Str, Stellenbosch: Specials as per menu, dinner Wednesday and Friday evenings. Indefinite. Tel (021) 887-7585
* Johan’s at Longridge, Stellenbosch: 6-course lunch and dinner plus 6 glasses of wine R 400. Friday – Tuesday (closed Wednesdays and Thursdays). Summer. Tel (021) 855-2004.
* Clos Malverne, Stellenbosch: 60 Minute Business Lunch, R58 – R108. Tuesday – Friday. Tel (021) 865-2022
* Lord Neethling Restaurant, Neethlingshof, Stellenbosch: choice of 6 main courses R115, Sunday buffet lunch R150. Tel (021) 883-8966.
* Season in Hermanus: Sunday lunch pork roast R65, leg of lamb R80; Afval (tripe) and glass of wine R65 on Wednesday for lunch or dinner; Hake, calamari and chips plus glass of wine R55, Thursday lunch and dinner; Lowest priced of two steaks ordered on Friday evenings is free. Until end October. Tel (028) 316-2854
* The Class Room, Hermanus: 3-course Sunday lunch R130. 6-course dinner R165 Wednesday – Saturday evenings. Indefinite. Tel (028) 316-3582
* Rossi’s Italian Restaurant, Hermanus: Small Pizza R38/R45, Lunch Mondays – Thursdays; Indefinite. Tel (028) 312-2848
* Grilleri, Hermanus : Decreased prices, Tuesday – Sunday evenings, Sunday lunch. Spring/Summer. Tel (028) 313-1685
* Nguni – Friday dinner special R50. Every Friday. Tbc. Tel (044) 533-6710